Already starting to look better. Give it a couple of days.
Time for a nutrient change. I’d had my herbs on a very dilute nutrient solution during germination. It’s time now to upgrade the mix to “rooted seedling.”
The colour is off – far too yellowish. So I mixed up a new brew.
I followed the amounts for week one. I don’ tt usually change it out every week. Usually at least two, sometimes a month. Mostly I just keep an eye on the plants and swap it out when it seems necessary.
I find it’s easiest to keep an extra rubbermaid, mix up the nutes and then swap it out, rather than siphoning out the old solution and pouring in the new. The old rubbermaid reservoir usually needs a cleaning anyway.
So far I’m liking the organic nutrients, but theyy do tend to scum up the reservoir after a while. They’d gum up spray heads something awful if your system has such.
Realistically I think we need to get another one and put them in the corners on that side instead.
Over in my world I’m going to have to thin soon as well.
Like this thyme, several of the herbs sprouted more than can possibly grow to maturity in the space.
I’m starting to see true leaves!
Still nothing from the chamomile & lemon balm. One more week before I replant something else in those sites and have to spend some time learning how to get them to germinate.
I keep telling Brian he’s going to need to thin these. Soon I’m just going to start munching on them.
Still waiting to see if chamomile or lemon balm are going to make an appearance.
Brian’s short term leafy greens are growing like crazy. Roots hit the water a couple days ago. Added a little BioGrow to the BioRoot in the water. Playing concentrations by ear.
Seems to be working!
My herbs are much slower to germinate and grow. Got a few little sprouts. Only day 7 after planting, so not panicking about germination yet. Anything not sprouted after a month will be getting replanted.
These are the itty-bitty thyme sprouts. I also see signs of life in savory and marjoram.
Here are a couple pics of the new system we built yesterday. Nothing too elaborate, just a couple of DWCs in rubbermaid tubs. Mostly we just missed it.
The one on the left has a variety of kitchen herbs, the one on the right has leafy greens. We decided to try planting directly into the systems this time instead of having a nursery and transplanting. I’ll keep you posted as things start to come up.
After a long hiatus for… reasons… Gnomeland got back in the game today. Not in a huge way, but we’ve got a system going. Two rubbermaid DWC systems, 8 plant sites each. 3 high output T5s. Planting tonight after the new moon. Stay tuned for updates.
Furniture. Spoken for but not yet physically removed. Sincerely hope they show up to get it tomorrow as otherwise could become problematic.
Hydro gear. Halfway removed, recipient coming back for second load tomorrow.
Pick up invoice from fuel company, deliver to lawyer.
Finish packing kitchen. Likely going with the furniture.
One last small trip to storage. Drop off keys @ Mom’s.
Purchase roadside assistance insurance. (thus ensuring uneventful trip)
Finish last bits of cleaning.
Purchase sunglasses & groceries.
Wait for cheque. Deposit. Pay off credit card.