Archives for the month of: November, 2013

image

Already starting to look better. Give it a couple of days.

Advertisements

Time for a nutrient change. I’d had my herbs on a very dilute nutrient solution during germination. It’s time now to upgrade the mix to “rooted seedling.”

The basil especially was starting to look a little peaked.
image

The colour is off – far too yellowish. So I mixed up a new brew.

Supplies:
image

Nutrient chart on the side of the box:
image

I followed the amounts for week one. I don’ tt usually change it out every week. Usually at least two, sometimes a month. Mostly I just keep an eye on the plants and swap it out when it seems necessary.

I find it’s easiest to keep an extra rubbermaid, mix up the nutes and then swap it out, rather than siphoning out the old solution and pouring in the new. The old rubbermaid reservoir usually needs a cleaning anyway.

So far I’m liking the organic nutrients, but theyy do tend to scum up the reservoir after a while. They’d gum up spray heads something awful if your system has such.

End result was quite a rich dark brown, much like dirt.
image

image

Letting water sit overnight to evaporate the chlorine. Nutrient change tomorrow evening.
image

Lemon balm finally made an appearance. 🙂

Brian’s leafy greens are big enough that I’ve started snacking on them.
image

You can see the ones on the outside corners aren’t really getting enough light. The T5s we bought weren’t quite long enough for 2 rubbermaids, so we stuck a CFL on one end.
image

image

Realistically I think we need to get another one and put them in the corners on that side instead.

The middle plant sites are exploding.
image

image

Over in my world I’m going to have to thin soon as well.

image

image

Like this thyme, several of the herbs sprouted more than can possibly grow to maturity in the space.

I’m starting to see true leaves!

Basil
image

Savory
image

Sage
image
image

Still nothing from the chamomile & lemon balm. One more week before I replant something else in those sites and have to spend some time learning how to get them to germinate.

image

image

I keep telling Brian he’s going to need to thin these. Soon I’m just going to start munching on them.

Meanwhile I’ve got signs of life in all but two of my plant sites.
image

I’ve got thyme
image

Basil
image

Sage
image

Savory
image

Marjoram
image

And one distinctly off-centre rosemary sprout.
image

Still waiting to see if chamomile or lemon balm are going to make an appearance.

image

Brian’s short term leafy greens are growing like crazy. Roots hit the water a couple days ago. Added a little BioGrow to the BioRoot in the water. Playing concentrations by ear.

image

Seems to be working!

My herbs are much slower to germinate and grow. Got a few little sprouts. Only day 7 after planting, so not panicking about germination yet. Anything not sprouted after a month will be getting replanted.

image

These are the itty-bitty thyme sprouts. I also see signs of life in savory and marjoram.

image

Day 3 after planting and Brian’s leafy greens have sproutlings! Gonna be a while yet for my kitchen herbs.

Here are a couple pics of the new system we built yesterday. Nothing too elaborate, just a couple of DWCs in rubbermaid tubs. Mostly we just missed it.

image

image

The one on the left has a variety of kitchen herbs, the one on the right has leafy greens. We decided to try planting directly into the systems this time instead of having a nursery and transplanting. I’ll keep you posted as things start to come up.

After a long hiatus for… reasons… Gnomeland got back in the game today.  Not in a huge way, but we’ve got a system going.  Two rubbermaid DWC systems, 8 plant sites each.  3 high output T5s.  Planting tonight after the new moon.  Stay tuned for updates.  🙂