Been busy the last couple of days putting together the birds’ outside shelter – a pre-fab 12 ft x 20 ft garage.
image
Says three hours construction time.  Sure, on a nice sunny day, with 4 big guys who all know exactly what they’re doing and have done this before.  Took the two of us 2 chilly afternoons at -10 C, but we finally got it done and the birds are out of the brooder!  Of course, now it’s gotten pretty cold and I’m worried about them, but they seem to be managing.

image
Two heat lamps plus the birds’ body heat brings it just above freezing, and we got a heated waterer so it won’t freeze up at night.

Before anybody freaks out about the extension cord, we got the heavy duty 12-gauge one and are running far less than its maximum load.

The chickens are huddling, but the brooder was only 8 ft x 8 ft… way too small for this age!  They needed to be moved.
image
Since today is 4 weeks, we decided to butcher one and see what we got.  Clean, quick kill.  Slightly less quick butchering since Brian had never done it before, but we got the breasts and thighs out just fine.  He says he knows where he went wrong on the gutting portion, so hopefully next time we’ll get the bird whole.
image
Enough for one meal for the two of us. (Yes we finished cleaning off the feathers first…) Brian heads out for 10 days of work Monday, so we’ll probably butcher the lot when he gets back.

Advertisements