Archives for category: Hydroponics

image

Willow branches are rooting like crazy. New dilemma – what to do with living willow tree?

Advertisements

Unfortunately the landlord has kiboshed the hydrogarden.

In the mean-time have downsized. One mini bubbler of mugwort, three dirt-plants (mint, aloe & Xmas cactus), and one flourescent light & reflectors. Set by window to capitalize on what feeble winter sunlight there is.

image

image

image

Also experimenting with willow wands to see if I can get them to root.
image

image

Basil

image

Thyme

image

Sage

image

Rosemary

image

Savory

image

Marjoram

image

Lemon Balm

image

Mugwort

image

Also mugwort in a mini bubbler

image

image

Leafy greens

image

image

The savory was invading the rosemary’s space. The plant furthest afield went into the soup pot tonight.

image

Leafy greens going in with dinner.

image

Still plenty left.

image

Herbs makiing progress. I wish I knew why savory falls over whenever I grow it from seed. Grows fine afterwards. Maybe need to plant it deeper?

image

Already starting to look better. Give it a couple of days.

Time for a nutrient change. I’d had my herbs on a very dilute nutrient solution during germination. It’s time now to upgrade the mix to “rooted seedling.”

The basil especially was starting to look a little peaked.
image

The colour is off – far too yellowish. So I mixed up a new brew.

Supplies:
image

Nutrient chart on the side of the box:
image

I followed the amounts for week one. I don’ tt usually change it out every week. Usually at least two, sometimes a month. Mostly I just keep an eye on the plants and swap it out when it seems necessary.

I find it’s easiest to keep an extra rubbermaid, mix up the nutes and then swap it out, rather than siphoning out the old solution and pouring in the new. The old rubbermaid reservoir usually needs a cleaning anyway.

So far I’m liking the organic nutrients, but theyy do tend to scum up the reservoir after a while. They’d gum up spray heads something awful if your system has such.

End result was quite a rich dark brown, much like dirt.
image

image

Letting water sit overnight to evaporate the chlorine. Nutrient change tomorrow evening.
image

Lemon balm finally made an appearance. 🙂

Brian’s leafy greens are big enough that I’ve started snacking on them.
image

You can see the ones on the outside corners aren’t really getting enough light. The T5s we bought weren’t quite long enough for 2 rubbermaids, so we stuck a CFL on one end.
image

image

Realistically I think we need to get another one and put them in the corners on that side instead.

The middle plant sites are exploding.
image

image

Over in my world I’m going to have to thin soon as well.

image

image

Like this thyme, several of the herbs sprouted more than can possibly grow to maturity in the space.

I’m starting to see true leaves!

Basil
image

Savory
image

Sage
image
image

Still nothing from the chamomile & lemon balm. One more week before I replant something else in those sites and have to spend some time learning how to get them to germinate.

image

image

I keep telling Brian he’s going to need to thin these. Soon I’m just going to start munching on them.

Meanwhile I’ve got signs of life in all but two of my plant sites.
image

I’ve got thyme
image

Basil
image

Sage
image

Savory
image

Marjoram
image

And one distinctly off-centre rosemary sprout.
image

Still waiting to see if chamomile or lemon balm are going to make an appearance.